Thursday, March 10, 2005

The one where I'm chased by dozens of girls

The truth can be deceiving, but that headline is true, folks.

Yesterday, I visited a certain all-girls' school to promote the speed-reading and reading fun programs of the Professional Skills Enhancement Center. I had a partner, L, with me, and she visited grades 4 to 7 while I did prep and grades 1 to 3.

The script calls for a bit of a puppet show involving a blue bunny with yellow ears, a reading of a book called The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and a lot of vocal impressions. In one day, I did Spongebob Squarepants, Patrick the Starfish, and Squidward, all from Nick's hit TV show, as well as renditions of the pirate who sings the opening line, Shrek, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Fanny Serrano (this gay beauty stylist who's quite popular for his effeminate mannerisms).

The kids loved it, praise God. One particular prep class, however, wouldn't let me go. I mean, literally. My script was over, and I had waved "bye!" but the girls, seeing their teacher wasn't in the classroom, decided to make a part of it. Two of them grabbed one arm each, and as I struggled to break free, several other girls tried to climb onto me.

I broke free and ran out of the classroom to seek refuge in the principal's office. They literally chased after me, and one nun came out of her room, presumably to wonder what in heaven's name was going on, saw the rowdy girls chasing me down the corridor, and slammed her door shut, keeping herself safe and locking me out of one particular room that could've been my hideout.

I was able to "escape" after ducking into the principal's office and one security guard told the girls to go back to their classroom. Later that day, I learned that L received similar adulation from the grade 5 and 6 girls. There's something to be said for all-girls' schools, and I wouldn't mind going back, but for a moment there, I was a little freaked out.

So how was your day? :)

No comments: