Thursday, April 06, 2006

The one where I no longer wish to watch American Idol

SPOILER

It's Season Three Week Five all over again. Then, you had the three black divas, Jennifer Hudson, Latoya London, and eventual winner Fantasia Barrino, with my personal favorite Hudson getting the undeserved boot. This time around, the bottom three consisted of Paris Bennett, Elliot Yamin, and Mandisa Hundley - three of the strongest performers in the season thus far, and unfortunately, the God-servant, a.k.a. Mandisa, got kicked out.

I am extremely disappointed.

When less talented singers like Kellie Pickler, Ace Young, and Bucky Covington last longer than singers who are clearly superior, well, that just takes the cake.

I don't particular feel the desire to follow this season any more. Call it bitterness, call it sour grapes, call it disappointment on a petty scale, but my bet's gone, and none of the others excite me (I'm sorry, not even Cathy's flavor du jour Elliot Yamin), so I'm going to occasionally check in. Just don't expect regular updates. I'm through with this season.

Somewhere in the back of my head, I'm thinking, maybe Mandisa wanted out. I mean, come on, her version of Any Man of Mine was appalling, completely unlike any of her previous performances. Maybe after the indifference of the people to her gospel track last week Shackles (Praise You) by Mary Mary (retitled to Wanna Praise You), she decided that mainstream America wasn't going to warm up to her message, or maybe she already got that chance with that intro of hers to the song. Christians aren't quitters, but I really felt, listening to her country vocal, her heart wasn't in it. Tsk.

Click here for an interesting perspective on Mandisa's elimination.

No comments: