Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The one where Willy Wonka ain't Michael Jackson and other ruminations

Cathy and I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night on an impromptu date (those are the best of all). My comments (spoiler alert!):

1) People were saying that Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka reminded them of Michael Jackson. Neither Cathy nor I saw that last night. I saw shades of Will Truman in his sarcastic tone, not the former King of Pop; Cathy said it was uniquely Depp's.

2) Even if the kids didn't die, the way the film handled the picking off of each kid was still pretty graphic. The Oompa Loompa dance after each "elimination" is potential nightmare material.

3) The child actors who played Veruca Salt and Violet Beauregard could've swapped roles and come out the same. I don't think the nuances between both girls was ironed out thoroughly.

4) We love Missy Pyle!

5) Freddie Sizemore has a great career ahead of him.

6) Tim Burton is a genius.

No comments: