Monday, January 09, 2006

The one with the fast

Cathy and I are now on the 4th day of our seven-day fast with Victory. In the past three days, I've witnessed myself rise and fall as I seek His will and learn more about what He wants me to do to bring glory to His name.

Yesterday's 3PM message at the Fort was given by the inimitable Ps. Robert, whose giftings are really in sharing God's Word. Yesterday, He talked about exactly that - God's word: the why's and the how's.

This particular time around, I forgot both Bible and notebook at home, and Robert chose to gently rebuke those who didn't bring their Bibles. ("It's like going into battle without a sword.") What I loved about this sermon that stuck with me were the following:

1) Read His Word. Reading the Bible has not really been too much of a problem for me (especially the bloody Old Testament - man, those were scary yet exciting times) - but I confess to skipping certain chapters. I really should get around to completing the Bible from cover to cover. Book of Hezekiah! LOL

2) Meditate on His Word. Not the ummmm... type of meditation. The type where you make it nilay-nilay. The type where you chew on it and pray on it and think about it. I'm looking forward to doing more of this. :)

3) Memorize His Word. Always a challenge for me, but I've picked up two more over the weekend: "Cast your cares upon the Lord, and He will sustain you" (Ps 55:22) and "Resist the devil and he will flee from you" (Ja 4:7). Ps 119:11 was shared yesterday by Ps. Robert, and I'm going to try to memorize that one, too, because it's beautiful - "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." I love that - when God's word is relevant and always present in your heart, the temptation to sin is significantly lessened.

I've prayed for much these past few days - including prayers for others given through the MySpace and Friendster accounts - and I trust that God will reward your faithfulness with answered prayer in His time and according to His will.

No comments: