Tuesday, November 09, 2004

The one with Athletes in Action

The Philippines has a funny way of reducing traffic, inappropriately yet popularly called "color coding." It's actually a number system that forces you to remain off the road from 7-10am and 3-7pm on Mondays if your license plate ends with 1 or 2, Tuesdays if your license plate ends with 3 or 4, and so on.

Today, Monday, my car is coded, because it ends with a 1 (our actual license plate is XEX-341, which is a horrific license plate if you're Christian, because it sounds like you're offering a threesome of carnal services at a discounted rate, and that's a whoooooole other story). As a result, all meetings scheduled today required my going there via public transportation. This wouldn't be a problem if I weren't so damn fat (I'm working on that, though).

I met with wackymathay of PinoyExchange.com, who introduced me to several people from Campus Crusaders for Christ (the La Salle Manila chapter of which I had met a few weeks earlier). The intention was to meet with Athletes in Action, the first youth organization to be featured in the magazine's Outta Sight Org feature.

Not only did I meet with them, but their bookstore consigned 150 copies! God is extremely good!

3 comments:

Esteban said...

Man, that would stink if I had to drive at a certain time...

Drina said...

Wow, that kind of system over here would quickly be labelled fascist and un-American. But man, how many pounds I would lose if I had to walk from 3-7pm... maybe I should give that a try :)

Esteban said...

Man, I would love to walk... just not 40 miles in an hour. :/